Also known as cassava or tapioca (manioc), which is a brown root shrub or tubers with a meaty, white interior, which is where tapioca is extracted from. It is a kind of flour that is used to produce all sorts of dishes, like soups, biscuits, breads, desserts, etc.. It is a very nutritious food and does not contain gluten , so individuals that are gluten intolerant (celic patients) can consume it. You can get cassava flour in supermarkets or natural stores.
Here are some recipes to get you excited to try something new …
Walnut Tapioca Rolls
• 2 cups Tapioca starch.
• 2 tablespoons corn starch.
• 2 tablespoons corn Semite.
• Half cup chopped walnuts .
• 1 teaspoon baking powder.
• 250 g cream cheese or spreadable cheese, gluten-free.
• 1 egg.
• 50 grams of butter .
• Thyme or oregano to taste.
1. Sift the tapioca starch with corn starch, Semite and the baking powder and sprinkle with your chosen herbs.
2. With the dry ingredients mixed together make a crown on the table and place the cheese, nuts, egg and egg butter in the middle.
3. Blend the ingredients in the middle and little by litt,e add the ingredients around the outside.
4. Knead well, making lots of dough and then shaping the bread or muffins.
5. Grease a baking sheet with butter and place the cakes on it, cooking at a moderate temperature oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until the top is golden .
Tapioca bread with goat cheese (or tofu or cream cheese)
• 2 / 3 cup vegetable oil
•2 cups milk
• 4 cups tapioca flour
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 1 1/2 cup goat cheese (or elected)
1. In a pan, boil the oil mixed with milk.
2. Once finished, mix with tapioca flour and beaten eggs.
3. Add the cheese to the mixture and mix again until everything is well blended.
4. Shape the dough however you like (may be in pancakes).
5. Bake at 350° C for 20 minutes.
6. When cooked, remove and let cool.
Tapioca with fish and vegetables
• 1 tablespoon tapioca
• 3 cups of fish broth
• 30 gr. white fish
• Half cup diced chayote
• Half a cup of pumpkin
• Salt to taste
1. Cook the Tapioca in the broth and add shredded fish.
2. Steam the vegetables and add to broth.
4. Serve hot.
• 150 grams brown sugar
• 750 grams of dark chocolate
• 5 eggs
• 750 tablespoons milk
• 150 grams of tapioca
• Vanilla to taste
1. Melt chocolate with the milk.
2. Add the brown sugar.
3. When boiling, add tapioca and vanilla slowly.
4 . Cook, stirring constantly, for 20 minutes.
5. Before it cools, add egg whites, beaten into peaks.
6. Put the sugar in a skillet and brown until caramelised.
7. Cook in a double boiler.
8. Let stand, place in the fridge and serve cold.
Watercress and tapioca soup
• 2 bunches of watercress
• 1 / 2 kg. potatoes
• 2 tablespoons tapioca
• 200 gr. pumpkin
• Extra virgin Hojiblanca oil
For the broth
• a few pieces of chicken
• 1 onion
• salt water
1 . In a pot full of water, place the chicken pieces, leeks, chives, carrots, and the sprig of parsley. Season and let cook for 20 minutes, then strain.
2. Place the soup in another pot, peel and cube the potatoes and cook them in broth.
3. Simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Clean the watercress, blend it in and let cook for 20 minutes.
5. Blend with an electric blender and then strain it.
6. Put the soup back on the stove, add the tapioca and cook for 7 minutes.
7. Peel the pumpkin slice and cut into small pieces. Sautee in a pan with a little oil.
8. At the bottom of each dish, serve the pumpkin cubes and pour the soup on top.
9. When adding the tapioca to the soup, you should give it a couple stirs with a wooden spoon because it tends to go to the bottom and it can stick.